Just Trading Launch Event at the WTO Public Forum
Time & Location
About The Event
Public confidence in free trade has been undermined by the new generation of mega-regional trade agreements. This session is an opportunity for senior legislators and policy makers to develop a progressive trade agenda that truly delivers on the social and environmental priorities outlined in the Sustainable Development Goals, including challenges such as:
- How best to use trade policy as a tool for the empowerment of women, beyond the Buenos Aires Declaration;
- How to ensure trade promotes workers’ rights, women’s rights and human rights in global value chains;
- How to reconcile the continuing trade in fossil fuels with the international climate change targets set by the Paris Agreement;
- How to manage international trade in food so that it does not endanger the food security needs of vulnerable communities;
- How to ensure investor protections do not undermine key social and environmental regulations.
Join us for our launch event at the WTO Public Forum.
Time: 10:00 - 11:30am
Date: Thursday, 4 October 2018
Location: Room S3, World Trade Organization, Rue de Lausanne, Genève, Switzerland
Languages: English (interpretations available EN - FR - SP)
Guests must be registered to attend the WTO Public Forum. You may register here.
- Barry Gardiner MP, Shadow Secretary of State for International Trade & Shadow Minister for International Climate Change, The Labour Party UK Parliament
- Beate Andrees, Chief of the Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work Branch, International Labour Organisation
- José Luis Kaiser Moreiras, Director General for Trade Policy and Competitiveness, State Secretariat for Trade, Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism, Government of Spain
- Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu, Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Government of India
Further details may be found here.